2012 Keep Iowa Beautiful Grant program applications are now available. This program is designed for communities of less than 5,000 population for implementing beautification projects and is intended to leverage local dollars, support volunteer efforts and encourage the work of communities with the desire for improving the image and appearance of their areas.
- A community beautification project must have one or more of the following as its primary purpose:
- Litter prevention / removal / education / implementation / public awareness
- Recycling education / implementation / public awareness
- Beautification programs – flower, tree and shrub planting, painting & fix-up and general landscaping.
- Public nuisance abatement.
- Grant limits are $5,000 for beautification projects.
- Projects with long-term or continuing benefits are desirable as opposed to one-time projects without lasting benefit. As an example – a short term project might include flower planting while a longer term value project might be tree planting.
- Projects involving youth with a focus on service learning opportunities are most encouraged.
- The following are not eligible for funding:
- Vehicle registration.
- Legal costs.
- Contingency funds and / or organization operational costs.
- Proposal preparation.
- Motorized equipment costing more than $1,000.
- Contractual project administration.
- Land / building acquisition, leases, easements, etc.
- Speakers, entertainment, refreshments and food.
- Costs for which payment has been or will be received under another federal, state or private financial assistance program.
- Costs incurred before a written agreement between the applicant and KIB has been executed.
- Office furniture, computers, fax machines and other office furnishings and equipment.
- T-shirts and give-a-way items.
- Outdoor furniture (grants are available under the “Build with Bags” program).
- Administrative and general operating costs of the project sponsor.
- An approved community project must be completed within the funding period.
- Photo documentation and media planning are required giving recognition to grant administrators and fund sources.
- Be prepared to undergo an audit regarding expenditures of the grant.
Click here for more information or to obtain an application.
Keep Iowa Beautiful